Monday, February 26, 2007

Day One - Road Trip!

I wanted to leave at 7:00 AM; that was the plan. There had been a nasty storm across Iowa on Sunday, and I feared some slow going. I just wanted to get an early start as a hedge against weather related delays.

It didn't happen, though.

We hit the road at about 7:30, which wasn't too far off the mark, but while buzzing along US 71 just south of Lamar, MO (about 40 miles from home), I realized I had left the folder with my admissions papers and medical records on my dresser. Guh. Remembered the iPod and camera and Cheez-Its and beef sticks but forgot THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING! Crap! Crapcrapcrap!

As I turned around at the next opportunity, I'm thinking that this little faux pas will mean that we'll be pulling in to Rochester at dark-thirty. But a frantic call was placed to Marge, our angel of a friend and neighbor, and she agreed to burglarize the house, grab the folder, and meet us in Carthage. The quick transfer that occurred there, on a deserted Arby's parking lot, looked for all the world like a drug deal. But we got the folder, and only lost about an hour's time. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a Marge. You can't have this one, though.

The rest of the drive was remarkably uneventful. There was snow on the ground beginning just north of Kansas City, and its depth increased (and the temperature decreased) in direct proportion to the increasing latitude. All of I-35, however, was clean and dry. In central and northern Iowa, there was sobering evidence of the earlier storm's severity; dozens of vehicles off the highway and undriveable - a few resting on some part other than the wheels. I'm REALLY glad we made this trip today instead of yesterday. Because of our stuttering start, there would be no stopping for a relaxing meal in Des Moines. But we did stop for a nice roadside picnic lunch a bit later, just north of Ames...




Incidentally, XM radio ROCKS on a long trip.

Arrived in Rochester at 6:00 and did a little exploring - the downtown area is honeycombed with a pedestrian "subway" that connects the medical facilities with several of the hotels, including this one. It's full of restaurants, retail shops, (including an inordinate number of jewelry stores!), gift shops and such. Found a bar, had a beer, had a sandwich, and cruised on back to the room.

The medical miracle lifts off at 7:00 tomorrow morning, and I'm still seeing highway coming at me, so...it's a night.

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely! I do not have a computer, at this time, so I am using one until I get mine back. Take care and will look forward to your next email!
Coeta

Anonymous said...

Tom and Bobbi, Glad you made it and your mood sounds great! Beautiful picture. Do good on your tests now!! --Tracy