Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Day Two - Let the Games Begin

They don't mess around at The Mayo Clinic.

Early this morning, I had testing and screening done by a neurological resident, Dr. Mark Cooper. That was immediately followed by a consultation with Dr. Cooper and the vice head of the neurology department, Dr. Joseph Matsumoto. Their diagnosis is grade 3.5-4 Essential Tremor (4 is as high as it goes), unresponsive to pharmacological treatment. Dr. Matsumoto informed us that I am indeed a prime candidate for surgery. This is the best news EVER!

The recommended procedure is called Deep Brain Stimulus (DBS), and will be performed here at Mayo. A tiny device (perhaps two devices) is/are implanted in my alleged brain, with a battery and switch inserted in my upper chest, near the shoulder. This is a newer, safer, and more effective surgery than the one with which I was familiar, wherein brain cells are destroyed to eliminate the tremor.

God bless the Energizer Bunny.

The only thing in doubt, I think, is the timeline. I don't think the surgery will take place on this visit. Dr Matsumoto must clear the procedure with the Neurosurgery Committee (about 30 doctors who meet weekly), and scheduling must be done. I keep telling everyone in sight that I'm ready NOW, dammit! The hotel folks are probably tired of hearing that. I'll know more later.

I next had blood drawn for a chemistry workup. Then a visit with Speech Pathologists Drs. Kimberly Bocian and Edythe Strand. "Why speech pathology?", I hear you ask. It seems that the balancing act inherent in this surgery is to mitigate the tremor without negatively impacting my ability to speak. Yeah, even from here, I can hear all the jokes about "No great loss there." At any rate, the areas controlling these functions are next-door neighbors in the brain; so today's testing established a baseline for my normal speech functions.

My last appointment for the day was an MRI to make sure that there are no tumors, aneurysms, moths or other abnormalities in my li'l puddin' head. I'm done for the day, and Bobbi and I might just have to have a nice dinner to celebrate our suddenly brighter future.

Tune in tomorrow; I have a consultation scheduled with Dr. Lee, the neurosurgeon who'll perform the operation. I can't wait!

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

5 comments:

dinahlab said...

Let me get this straight. You are undergoing a battery of tests to determine your brain's health so that you can wear a battery to stimulate responses in specific neuronal pathways designed to reduce the effects of ET. You also believe that thirty doctors getting together in a room will lead to a timely decision. Aren't you just a little worried that the latter will be evidence of ill health?
:-) Kind of a Groucho sort of thing -- if you believe in the committee, the committee won't want you....

Seriously, it sounds pretty exciting. You should ask them to videotape the surgery for you, now that would be wicked cool, eh? I'd pay $7.70 or even $8.80 to see a show like that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is great news! Good job on your tests, Tom!! Keep up the good work. Great news. I'll pass on that video tape of the surgery - but i'm sure Cara would want to see it. --Tracy

Anonymous said...

Yea!
I'm smilin' (and not just from your witty remarks...

Anonymous said...

Is no news good news? --Tracy

Anonymous said...

hello?? We need an update!! Quit screwing around and blog it, man! --tracy