Thursday, March 22, 2007

Day 9 - Anybody get the number of that truck?

"It's alive! It's alive!" - Dr. Frankenstein

*WHEW!* That was a tough day. As I write this I'm back in the hotel room, and couldn't be happier about it. I'm also heavily under the influence of Percodan, so please excuse any and all ramblings.

The surgery went really well. Dr. Lee was pleased, and even with the generic programming of the unit, there is tremendous improvement. I've already applied toothpaste to a brush without bracing both arms, and have drunk water from a glass using one hand. Marvelous! A medical miracle!

It was quite an involved process; we arrived at St. Mary's Hospital at 5:20 AM and I left the recovery room at about 6:15 PM. Long day. The most challenging aspect of the day was dealing with the "halo" - I was essentially immobilized for nearly eight hours. I'm not complaining, mind you - merely an observation.

I am, if at all possible, even more excited about the outlook than prior to the procedure. I have an appointment April 5 to set the program parameters to maximize the effect.

Currently, I am a hurtin' unit. The "pouch" in my upper chest is quite tender, as is my head and my neck and the area behind my left ear where the leads are buried. I just feel generally beat up. Small price to pay.

I've mostly been dozing since being released at about 12:40 this afternoon. Room service has been a most welcome friend. I realize that this post isn't up to my usual standards of jocularity; forgive me.

I can feel the warm waves of support you have so generously offered me, dear reader, and it is heartwarming. It is most uplifting to know that you care. I promise I'll write more tomorrow when I'm a little less logy.

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have four words for you, big brother -- better living through chemistry. Yes, Percodan (or, rather, its relative Percocet)was my bestest friend ever while recovering from the broken heel & surgery. It's not so much that it stops the pain, but you just don't seem to care so much.

I'm so very, very pleased for you. How's Bobbi holding up? Diane's right -- she had the really hard job. Enjoy the room service. While you rest up, you can practice punching the little tiny buttons on the remote.

I'm lifting my Pepsi can to you. See you when you get home.

Susan

Anonymous said...

What truck? The one that hit you? So great to see your update on the blog. Everyone in Tai Chi was thrilled with the success of the surgery. That WAS a long day. I'm so glad you came out well, and would also love to hear how Bobbi is doing. I wish we were all there and we could have a drinking things out of glasses and eating soup party. You would probably win on punching the little tiny buttons on the remote, because I can't see them! Damn the electric fence. Oh, wait, maybe we like the electric fence. Still want to know when you will be toddling back to JOMO. Rest well, let the healing begin. --Tracy

dinahlab said...

Congrats & GWS.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything went well! I look forward to seeing you soon!

Heidi

dinahlab said...

I am hoping that no new posts means that your computer hardware and/or software is down and not that other hardware/software, whether animate or bionic, is being problematic. Here's hoping you are feeling better. I am thinking of you; I'd say the labbies are too, but they're probably thinking about food or flat flying discs (I can no longer say or spell "f-r-i-s-b-e-e" without causing excessive excitement). Keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.