Monday, March 26, 2007

Day 12 - Better Late Than Never

Sorry. My bad. Mea culpa.

How rude of me to leave you hanging. My body has been telling me to do nothing, so nothing I did. And I had promised to write. Shame on me.

But I think I needed the time. This experience has been more physically draining that I thought it would be, and I'm still trying to get my hands around it mentally and emotionally. I feel more like myself this morning, so I thought I'd let you know that.

We arrived home at about 5:00 Saturday afternoon, having taken two days to make the trip. Poor Bobbi had to drive all the way. Since then, I've done NOTHING. And I refuse to feel any guilt. I've spent time with my friend Percodan (whence the name? Nothing about its effects even hint at "perk" - it does sometimes make one feel like some guy named "Dan", though.)

My tremor is greatly improved. I can already write legibly and drink with one hand. I'm excited about my return visit to Mayo April 5 to program the neurostimulator (the part that's in my chest) to optimize the effect.

I plan on hanging out at home today and tomorrow, and retuning to work on Wednesday. but before I do, a few thoughts and observations:

  • Sometimes, the whole escapade seems surreal and dreamlike. I keep looking around for the runny watches.


  • It's unfortunately corny that this took place at the beginning of Spring, for it really is a metamorphosis.


  • If you need something medically serious done, get a referral to The Mayo Clinic.


  • I value my family and friends more than I can ever hope to express.


  • Lars is a good man.


  • I'm ready for a return to normalcy.


  • I'll publish an update or two in the intervening time before the zapper is programmed, if you're interested. Sort of a progress report.

    Thanks for your interest,
    Tom

    4 comments:

    dinahlab said...

    Weel, hell, if you can't use "just had brain surgery" as an excuse for not updating your blog, what can you use?

    Well, in my house you could use "the dog ate my computer" but that's perhaps not quite as effective as "well, as a matter of fact, I did just have brain surgery."

    I am glad you are well and are having fun exploring the wonders of technology. Enjoy the exploring.

    Anonymous said...

    Recover well my friend. Take it easy. Blog when you feel like it, sleep when you feel like it. Do nothing when you feel like it. Tell everyone who might be curious about your blog that you are meditating... that you are doing a study on the effects of pain medication... and to leave you alone. You are as you should be right now. All is well, everything is as it should be. Rest up! Tracy

    Anonymous said...

    Wow Tom!

    Welcome to your new world! You have a new beginning that many people never get to experience. Enjoy rediscovering things. Eat lots of soup!

    But for now....

    Rest
    Rest
    Rest

    and

    Peace
    Peace
    Peace

    You gotta get it while you can!!

    Shani

    Anonymous said...

    Strong work uncle. you simply must find a way to employ technology to display technology (could you post some video clips before and after you became bionic?) Now that you're a world famoous blogger, you ought to start acting like it. Eventually you could probably create your own drippy clocks.

    glad all's well and on the way to weller. -rob