Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Back to the Future

OK, I dumped the whole "Day XX" thing; didn't make much sense anymore, anyway.

We're headed back to Rochester again tomorrow morning so that the staff can program my zapper - uh, the neurostimulator. I've heard all manner of suggestions for special add-on features to my bionic gear; some quite amusing. At least ONE of my friends doesn't see the humor in a remote control Tom. Upon reflection, I suppose I am mostly serious about it all; it's important to me.

I know I'm looking forward to the programming process. As the brain has healed, there has been some regression of the effects on the tremor; I'm fairly shaky just now. Dr. Lee predicted the phenomenon, though, and assures me that we'll still eliminate it with the programming of the unit. As he told me during and shortly after the surgery, "We got 'em right where we want 'em" (referring to the brain implants). I'm still going to lobby hard for programming access myself.

So, 20 or so hours of driving sandwiched around a couple hours of establishing and fine-tuning the stimulus parameters. I reiterate - a small price to pay! And with any luck, this will be the last trip for awhile. I can't wait to (try to) play the guitar.

I'll be back with notes on what happened in a day or two; so stay tuned - don't touch that dial! Dial?! Geez, does that age me or what?

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

correction: you can't wait to PLAY the guitar. there will be no "trying". there is a jane siberry song in that. hmmm.... which one was that? great! now i'm gonna have to really scurry to get to work on time, because i MUST find that song. be sure and share with the rest of the class what is going on. -tracy "do or do not - there is no try." (so sez yoda)

dinahlab said...

perhaps i can even inspire you to pick up the banjo... i will find a digitizer, even in this outpost of winter wonderland (we got a foot or so of snow last night, which is now just a small amount of slop and mud) there must be one.... and send you the CJR CD....

maybe we can plan a bodin's reunion next summer (or late spring or early fall) to have a family hoe-down? haven't had one of those in awhile....

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for the Bodin's hoedown. I was just thinking about the same thing (well, not the *hoedown* part!) just the other day. It would be so very wonderful to all get together again in Wisconsin.

Here's hoping you very soon will be strumming like crazy, and at a speed and strength of your choosing!

I've decided to tell everyone that I now have a bionic brother -- while perhaps not technically true, it makes a great conversation starter. I can't help picturing Ray Walston with his little Martian antennae. . .

Your baby sister

Anonymous said...

hello??? is there anybody out there? the folks back home to the bionic boy. bionic boy, come in please. whazzup?

--tracy