Friday, April 06, 2007

The Six Million Dollar Man

Now, if I just LOOKED like Lee Majors...

Well, we cheated death yet again and made it home. And I AM bionic. Thursday morning, the zapper was programmed and I was introduced to my neat-o multi-function control unit. I was given (limited) programming access; the rig is now under my (limited) control. I can change the voltage. BWAA-HA-HAH!

The programming took about two hours. When I switch the system on ("Set phasers to stun..."), there is the oddest quasi-electrical buzzing in my cheeks, neck and arms; a feeling that defies description. The sensation subsides in a few seconds, but it's really pretty cool. If one watches as the unit ramps up to full power (warp factor nine), it's very easy to see the tremor disappear. It's quite the show. I'm thinking of doing birthday parties and bar mitzvahs.

A visit with Dr. Lee was next on the agenda. He's not only a kick-ass brain surgeon, but a joyous guy who's extremely easy to talk to. He absolutely LOVES what he does; he's definitely living in his sweet spot. He ran and found a programming unit and we played "electro-joy" some more. Great fun. While he scurried about in search of the programmer, we spoke with a couple of residents he's training and they consider themselves fortunate to be under Dr. Lee's tutelege. Even the most jaded staff people have nothing but good things to say about his people skills as well as his surgical ones. I'm pretty damn lucky.

I'll have to go back for more program tweaking in a couple months, as the brain is still somewhat swollen. This, too, is normal. I'm told that although right now my right hand is rock steady and my left nearly so, we can do even better. It's difficult to impart what an immediate change this makes in the way I perform so many tasks. I have to relearn a number of things.

I have already discovered that my hands refusing to go where I aim them has not been the only roadblock to my playing the guitar and banjo; I am HORRIBLY out of practice. For a long time, it's been pointless to try. Anyhow, no chops. I'll get 'em back, though.

I get to resume an unrestricted activities schedule this week. I'm looking forward to Tai Chi and perhaps golf, if it doesn't snow. The low tonight is forecast to be 20 degrees. It's April. It's Southwest Missouri. That's just not right.

DANG it! I forgot to obtain a set of the photos taken during the surgery; I'll have to work on that next week as well. Meanwhile, I'll keep relearning stuff, and I'll let you know how's tricks in a few days.

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

8 comments:

Kris said...

Wow. Great news and great strides. Congrats the guitar, tai chi, and golf. And about the weather - here in New Hampshire, your great-niece and nephews will be doing their Easter egg hunt in 6 inches of snow.

Anonymous said...

Go Tom! Let's do lunch. I'll be out of town most of this week. how bout next week? Happy Easter! p.s. sent this from our Wii. Life changes so fast. Have fun w/ your new found abilities. Kenton

dinahlab said...

Way cool. I'm glad you have been able to find out that your chops are gone. Perhaps the dog ate them? I'd check out in the backyard and see if you can find the remnants. I'm sure that you will find them soon, perhaps slightly altered from when you last saw them.

Dr. Lee and his coworkers sound wonderful. I can just picture you guys sitting around zapping the control unit as if it were a toy boat on a lake.... do you have to avoid microwaves and radiotowers? alert airport security in advance? make sure there's no kryptonite in the area?

now that the programming is set for awhile, i expect that you will change focus and keep us updated on adventures in golf, music, photography, etc......

d

Anonymous said...

Jeez, I just came here from Kris' blog (which also led me to Diane's blog). I feel so . . . blogless. If only I had anything even remotely interesting to blog about. *sigh*

I'm so very glad you're having a good time while you heal and adjust. Curiosity makes life so much more fun -- it may have killed the cat, but he didn't die a grumpy old couch potato. Oh, no! He was out relearning to play golf, looking for those pesky chops (I agree with Diane. The dog must have eaten them.) and eating lots of soup with a dainty little spoon!

My next nagging question is: Do you hear that raah-uh, raah-uh, raah-uh sound when you turn the bionics on? You know, the sound that lets the audience know that the bionics are working.

Susan

Anonymous said...

if i close my eyes, ok, that's not working, but if i do the blogging equivalent of closing my eyes so that i can contiue reading, it's almost like sitting on a couch at 718 and hearing the rapid-fire banter of my brilliant family (don't let this go to your heads, brilliant though it is, it is still irrelevant and uninteresting to most of the world for whom we are the great unknown and unwashed)
so in answer to some of kris' queries about the place blogging will assume in the cosmic puzzle, for me it has opened a conversation with people i don't get to see enough. if only some of you would remember to post your operative photos or overcome your "bloglessness" we'd be that much closer to virtual parlor perfection.
as for me, the temptation to blog nags...but i do know my place, i am going to stick with what i know. my skill lies on criticizing the work of others, not in sticking my neck out with original thought. thanks for giving me the opportunity to air my wares.
rkg

Anonymous said...

And Tracy says, (totally "unfamiliar" to these relations) Wow. If **I** close my eyes - its like reading a screenplay to a really fun and entertaining movie. Which one of you Tom related peoples is working on that? Just the most fun since, i don't know... that last movie that was so fun. Kind of like Gilmore Girls, but not near as annoying with all the messy drama. Ok, now back to Tom, not just Tom related. Great job on Tai Chi! Much smoother. You'll be all ready to go for the recital. And now... in all your worthy bionic endeavors - engage @ warp factor 9 and MAKE IT SO!

dinahlab said...

well, the couch at 718 was a pretty cool place, eh?... perhaps i'll put up a webpage with links to all things family to keep the unwashed contained in an appropriate container -- pack-in, pack-out. in the meantime, i agree that activities such as restoring old homes, reading, making/enjoying music, peo, playing with cats, etc. does a blog make (susan). of course, so does raising children, golden retrievers, college town life, delivering babies, playing golf, skiing, etc. (bob)..... or sailing, shopping, pier committees, peo, sailing, woodworking, sailing (m&d).....

d

Anonymous said...

"rkg" (aka I know who you are, Russ...) wins the International Tile for World's Lognest Coherent Run-On Sentence With Appropriate Punctuation Award.

Fun stuff.