Monday, April 16, 2007

It's always something...

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Well, let's see...minor things first. I'm doing well with the bionics. A bit of the tremor has returned, so I suspect the brain is less swollen. I'll make an appointment in about a month to return to Mayo for another programming session. I am able to write a sentence or two, and sign my name with legible handwriting that looks a lot like my writing from 25 years or so ago. I can apply toothpaste to brush, stab food with a fork, pick up a pen and other tasks that were well nigh impossible a month ago. Small victories. Yay.

Scott is graduating from high school in a month. Doesn't seem possible. He and girlfriend Marissa attended prom Saturday night. Yay.



On a sour note, I had to take Bobbi to the emergency room today with chest pains. It's a heart problem, but there doesn't seem to be any damage. They're keeping her tonight, and a cardiologist will check her tomorrow. She's feeling fine, but we mustn't take chances.

A lighter addendum to above sour note: This evening, while Scott, Marissa, Marge (the fabled one), Becky, Tracy and I were all in Bobbi's room, an apparent roof leak caused a paint "pimple" in the ceiling near the door. The blister-like thing split, and like an inverted volcano, spilled about a half-gallon of water onto the floor. Vigorous mopping by nurses/aides/techs. Hospital staffers from everywhere appeared to view the carnage. Another paint pimple was visible, and some enterprising member of the janitorial staff put a very large trash can beneath it to catch the jetsam when this one, too, burst. But we were proactive. Using my McGyver Autograph Model Swiss Army knife, Scott pierced the darn thing, spilling its contents and eliminating the tortuous wait for the inevitable. The whole affair was really pretty funny. Maybe you had to be there.

At any rate, Bobbi should be coming home tomorrow. My sister and brother-in-law are visiting from Maryland this week. Yay.

Thanks for your interest,
Tom

No comments: